Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Ockham's Razor

In the 13th century, a Franciscan friar from Ockham named William devised the philosophical argument that the most efficient way to solve any question or argument is to go with the solution that has the fewest assumptions.

Being a scientist, I decided to distill that down even further. And then re-distill it, and then extract the essential oil (shout-out to any of my fellow chem students who are literally doing this experiment this week in class!)

As I gathered the three viscous drops of pure philosophy from my collecting bulb (such nerd, I know) I came up with this: Basically, everything should be a yes or no question.

Well, that's where I am right now: Questions. And lots of them. As I figure out who to contact and which of them actually knows who makes the decisions and then when they will be available; I am getting a lot of "yes's" and "no's."

But also a lot of "I don't knows." Didn't see that in Ockham's dichotomy. Thanks a bunch William.

Today's main assignment is networking (as it will be for the rest of my quest.)

But, specifically, with my school resources and with outdoor gear suppliers. I am contacting the Communications and Alumni Relations people at my school and also the head of the Action Resource Center (a great organization here in Bloomington that does efficient social and town-betterment work all over the city) to see if they have any ideas.

Also, I did some research laaaate last night (still sweating from the Ultimate Frisbee game I left early to work on this) on different outdoor brands and their "Giving Back" programs. Patagonia and Columbia are looking good. More soon as I figure out who can actually help me within these organizations!

Peace, Water, and Climbing,

Chris

2 comments:

  1. Cheering you on buddy and shared the link on FB. !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much guys! I am so excited to see where I can go with this! I have spent the entire day talking to outdoor companies (more in today's post) and have some more cool news!

    ReplyDelete